Content tagged code

Drakma, now with SNI

posted on 2015-08-05

A while ago, I was alerted by a blog post to the fact that Drakma, the HTTP client that TBRSS uses, did not support SNI.

At that time, I added support in both CL+SSL and Drakma for TBRSS’s own use, and made a pull request for CL+SSL, intending to make another pull request for Drakma once the first had been merged.

I am pleased to report that, after a long (but not unreasonable) delay, that second pull request has been made and merged, and stock Drakma can be used with SNI-enabled hosts.

Open source

posted on 2014-03-31

TBRSS does a lot of interesting things – it is a feed fetcher, a feed reader, and a sophisticated text analyzer – but it is not a large program, usually around 10,000 lines of code. It stays small because, whenever possible, I move functionality into separate libraries. Lately, I have been getting some of these libraries ready for release.

TBRSS is built on open source software; naturally I want to do my part. But I see very little value in the fashionable idea of open sourcing the application. Applications are compromises: they run in a particular environment, on particular hardware, and reflect a path-dependent history of hacks and trade-offs.

As a rule, interesting functionality should be moved into libraries, and those libraries should be open-sourced. It’s only fair; it’s an sleazeless form of self-promotion; and it’s best for the library, both because it permits outside contributions, and because, in bringing it up to publishable standards, you make it better and more maintainable.

Our first release is the foundation for all the others – Serapeum, “utilities beyond Alexandria.” The README explains the purpose and reasoning behind yet another utility library.

As other libraries are prepared, they will be released on the TBRSS GitHub.

This blog covers lisp, code


Unless otherwise credited all material copyright by Paul M. Rodriguez